Thursday 14 February 2013

A Trifle of sorts..back to Black?

I want to call the process of going from a bleached blonde back to a brunette the trifle effect. One does not always realize the extent of damage done to one's delightful locks, until a vicious beanpole of a man with a fannypack equipped with razors and combs, breaks it to you.

 Naturally as you are in the house of shame, at this stage, you whimperingly listen to your fate and you agree to the process. Being naturally a nice chestnutty brown, you think "Oh, this shouldn't be too hard."Ah how the gods of hair laugh. First a shocking undertone of colour was applied, leaving me with a vibrant Scarlet Johansen Avengers kind of look. Not my colour, but pretty cool. 

Then came the intense hour on the brown, which came out dark..as dark as my mood, whilst said beanpole and comrades applaud their masterpiece. I felt like Elsa Lancaster as the Bride. Who the hell did these chumps think they were making me look like a bit of charred charcoal? Oh the humanity!

 So on the second day, instead of hiding my head of black in shame, I decide to embrace the matter and cheer up. (I will however like to point out that the maid gasped in horror when she saw me and may or may not have crossed herself - a true vote of confidence) Black is back. It has never left us, and I am assured that eventually the black will wash out to brown and that all I need is a month of deep hair conditioning. So to celebrate and not berate, I would like to pay homage to another lady with black hair  and feast my eyes, and yours on the IT girl of the 1920's, Miss Louise Brooke. An actress, dancer and the writer of "Lulu in Hollywood", this lady was sassy and intelligent. She clearly knew how to wear a style all her own... 

Ah Louise! So stylish, so many feathers! A bit of blonde get into the old hair colour? Well no-one noticed, I assure you.
Saying true things like..

"Every actor has a natural animosity toward every other actor, present or absent, living or dead. "-Louise Brooke

AHAH! Cover thy head with a hat. And shoot anyone who says anything about it.
"Most beautiful dumb girls think they are smart and get away with it, because other people, on the whole, aren't much smarter." Louise Brooks

Yes, this is the look she is most famous for. Fantastic black bob and dark piercing eyes. Not for the faint of heart.
She also was a bit of a sassy lass, giving sound advice ladies...

“A well dressed woman, even though her purse is painfully empty, can conquer the world.” -Louise Brooks

and..a drinker..
What is not to like?

Louise Brooke circa 1920
Well maybe this photo.. a little. But its OK. Sometimes you don't have a choice about who or what you pose with. Check any one of my family reunion/wedding/funeral pics. I am not having a say with whom or what I pose, I assure you.

As DEATH..Louse Brooks, I may never have seen a film of yours, or laid eyes on your book, but if I ever come across it, I will make a fuss.

 "I have a gift for enraging people, but if I ever bore you it will be with a knife." Louise Brooks


Probably the most famous picture of her to date. Louse Brooks with a long string of white pearls. Sigh.
I never read "Lulu in Hollywood". In fact I've never heard of it. But I would, and I should make the effort. Perhaps I will strike it lucky here in Africa and find me a copy, but until then, I will leave you with a quote by Miss Brooks about the art of writing.

“For two extraordinary years I have been working on it - learning to write - but mostly learning how to tell the truth. At first it is quite impossible. You make yourself better than anybody, then worse than anybody, and when you finally come to see you are "like" everybody - that is the bitterest blow of all to the ego. But in the end it is only the truth, no matter how ugly or shameful, that is right, that fits together, that makes real people, and strangely enough - beauty...” 


No comments:

Post a Comment